MWC "Depthmaster" 100atm / 3,280ft / 1000m Water Resistant Military Divers Watch in PVD Stainless Steel Case with Helium Valve (Quartz)
The MWC "Depthmaster" range Military Diver models are MWC's latest heavy-duty range and are both extremely robust with a sapphire crystal as well as being suitable for diving with mixed gases at extreme depths due to the 100atm water resistance rating, they also have a wider strap at 24mm (most military divers watches use a 20mm strap) and a non scratch ceramic bezel which is easier to grip in extreme cold. These watches are specifically designed for use by professional divers under very challenging conditions.
This particular variant has a 12-hour European military pattern dial and is finished in black PVD stainless steel. The special covert matt black nonreflective PVD finish used for this watch is often specified in military contracts for many special forces units as well as by anti-terrorist units and for various covert operations. In the PVD process, the steel is not black all the way through because the color is created by a special chemical PVD plating process which is vastly superior to the painted finish used on some lower quality watches which can easily fade or rub off. This PVD process means that the color of the steel is altered at a molecular level, therefore it will not deteriorate even during heavy usage although it can be destroyed if the case is badly damaged by a piece of metal being gouged out or if the case is worn down by continuous heavy abrasion against rocks, etc.
The movement is a high-quality Ronda 715li with a 10-year battery life and hacking function to enable synchronization.
Dimensions and Specification:
- Movement: Ronda 715li quartz with hacking function and 10-year battery life
- Water Resistance: 100atm / 3,280ft / 1000m
- Screwdown crown
- Helium Escape Valve
- Width: Inc Crown 47mm (Exc Crown 44mm)
- Bezel Type: Unidirectional Non-Reflective with Ceramic Insert
- Thickness: 18mm
- Crystal Diameter: 31mm
- Crystal Type: Sapphire with Anti Reflective Coating*
- Lug to Lug: 48mm
- Weight: 132g
- Case: 316L PVD Stainless Steel
- Illumination: Luminova on markers, hands, and bezel
- Strap: 24mm NATO Webbing Strap
* A lot of people ask us what are the benefits of sapphire crystal over a standard mineral crystal? The answer is that synthetic sapphire is by far the best material for watch crystals because it is very strong and also shatter and scratch-resistant, these characteristics make it very appealing to military and security personnel, police officers and people who lead active outdoor lifestyles, these groups account for over 70% of our customers. To get things into perspective we find that when clients have accidents with watches resulting in a cracked crystal over 90% are usually watches with mineral glass crystals, even factoring in that we use hardened mineral crystals they still do not come close to sapphire for durability under adverse conditions. The reason that sapphire crystals are so strong is that after the sapphire glass is manufactured it is also heat-treated to remove its internal stresses—which can cause weakness—it is then made into the watch crystals and two layers of anti-reflective coating are applied, interestingly sapphire crystal is now used on the latest iPhone. Of course, sapphire crystal comes at a price hence you find that it's normally only fitted to higher-end watches.